Day of Surgery Admission Unit (DOSA)Navigation
The Day of Surgery Admission Unit (DOSA) is a pre-operative waiting area where you will be prepared for your operation on the day of surgery. Here we will check you in and complete all the necessary paperwork and pre surgery documentation. When the time comes for your surgery you will go from DOSA to the operating department for your surgery.
You will be contacted one day before surgery to confirm your admission.
What to do before I come to DOSA
- Please have a shower or bath before you come to the hospital.
- Please do not put on any make up and remove nail varnish, false nails, fake tan, false eyelashes contact lenses, jewellery or piercings.
- Do not eat or drink after 12 midnight (if fasting differs the medical team will have instructed you). If you have been given any specific instructions from your surgeon or nurse specialist please ensure you follow them prior to surgery.
What should I bring with me?
- Reading glasses / hearing aids / dentures / prosthesis.
- All current medication in the original packaging (tablets, eye drops, inhalers etc.). Your medications will not be required once you are admitted to your ward after surgery and should be sent home.
- Please do not bring any valuables and only bring minimal belongings with you. The Hospital does not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage of patients’ valuables.
- You may bring reading material while waiting for your procedure.
- Free WIFI is available in the DOSA area. If you do decide to bring an ipad or iphone / mobile with you, please give these valuables to your friend or relative until after your surgery is complete.
- Your belongings will be labelled and transferred to the ward by a porter when you have gone for your surgery.
- Dressing gown and slippers (you will be walking to theatre, if able).
Where should I go on the morning of my operation?
The Day of Surgery Admission Unit is located on the lower ground floor at the back of the Intensive Care Unit. There is a map on back of this leaflet which will direct you to the main hospital lifts/stairs. Take the lift or stairs to the lower ground floor. Follow the sign posts to DOSA. Please allow approx. 10 minutes walk from the car park to DOSA.
What will happen on the morning of my operation?
When you have arrived in the Unit please report to the nurse in charge. The nurse will complete the necessary pre surgery checks which will include:
- Checking and confirming your medical details.
- Recording your vital signs e.g. blood pressure, pulse, weight. You will meet a member of your surgical team. We may have to carry out some routine tests, for example, take blood samples, carry out a chest xray or ECG (tracing of your heart). If you have had these tests completed prior to your day of surgery you may not require them again. You will be required to change into a theatre gown. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask the doctor or nurse.
Going to theatre
The theatre staff will contact the DOSA staff to bring you to theatre. You will be escorted by foot to theatre by a DOSA nurse. If you are unable to walk a wheelchair / trolley will be available. The theatre staff will greet you and go through the surgery details with you again. After the surgery you will stay in a recovery room for some time where you will be made comfortable before being transferred to the ward to recover fully.
How to Contact DOSA
If you are unable to attend or are delayed please contact the DOSA as soon as possible
Tel: 01 852 8456
If DOSA staff are unavailable, please contact the Admission office Tel: 01 809 2944.